Tuesday, June 3, 2014

another beach, another island

I am so bored of beaches. And islands.

Just kidding. I spent the last 5 days at another surf lodge where my friend Harriet is working. Her place is so much better than where I was. Its up on a big cliff but has a great beach down below, the food is awesome, and the lifestyle there was a lot less self-destructive. People actually exercised. There was a yoga master class with a celeb yoga teacher from LA so I went to that and came to the realization of how out of shape I am. We were working on mostly inversions, and I have no upper body strength. It was good though, I feel like I needed a good kick in the butt to get back in gear health-wise.
There was a great group of volunteers and guests that I hung out with, and there were a number of other places down the beach so it didn't feel quite as isolated. Apparently the surf was top notch, but I wasn't tempted to go out. I had my one experience of surfing, and it was quite rough. Maybe I will try again in Costa Rica.

Today I traveled to Isla Ometepe, a big island with two volcanos in the middle of Lake Nicaragua, a large freshwater lake. The island is all about ecotourism so there are a lot of farms and stuff where I was thinking about volunteering.. alas time is ticking! There are a lot of interesting birds. And lots of bugs. I rode a horse to a natural mineral spring pool. It wasn't hot though, lucikly. I went to a hot one near the last place but we had to go at night because its so hot there during the day. Then I walked back from the pool and was sufficiently sweaty that I needed to go swim again! Its a hard life. I will leave tomorrow to go to Costa Rica... Its calling to me and I don't have much time left.

1 comment:

  1. so glad to hear you got the cosmic butt-kick!! AND finding out sooner than later that suchness exists out there.
    L
    D

    ReplyDelete