Thursday, April 3, 2014

Teaching Yoga in Paradise

If you have been following my blog reguarly (as I know you are) then I am probably starting to sound like a broken record. Every place is very different but so many of the places I have been lucky enough to visit are just so beautiful. I am in another one of such places, Semuc Champey, Guatemala. I am staying in a hostel/lodge that is nestled in a vibrant green hillside on the edge of a small river. And I get to be here for free! I emailed around about two weeks before I decided to come to inquire if any of the lodges were interested in me coming to teach yoga in exchange for a room, and this place El Retiro accepted me, and they are even giving me 3 meals a day! I feel super lucky. I am hoping I can work out similar arrangements as I travel through Honduras and Nicaragua. Its also nice to be here knowing I have some time to get to know people and I don't have to rush off on any tours of the caves or the rivers which are the main attractions in Semuc Champey. Its a bit strange to meet other travelers who I really connect with, and then the next day they leave! Its a good practice of non-attachment! Last night I had a great time hanging out and playing Cards Against Humanity with a group of about 8 people. We played in teams because a lot of the cards have to do with American pop culture or contain slang that non-English speakers are unfamiliar with, so we tried to have each team with one English and one non-English speaker. There were two Dutch people who qualified as English speakers, because Dutch people speak really good English and they get a lot of our movies and pop-culture in English rather than Dutch. Anyway we played this game for a few hours, and then someone decided to have a beer pong tournament. Besides me, there was one American girl. All of the others were not "native" beer pong players. And I'm not usually very good at it anyway. So needless to say the games dragged on and on because everybody kept missing the cups. I went to sleep before it finished but not before drinking a lot of beer. I was worried about missing my yoga class in the morning, not because I was drunk but because both my ipad and my phone were out of battery life and I had nothing besides the birds to wake me up. I am happy to announce that they were succesful, and I didn't miss my class.

No comments:

Post a Comment