Monday, April 7, 2014

Moving on...

Today I left Semuc Champey. I have to make my way to Utila, Honduras. I passing through Rio Dulce, and Livingston and then getting a boat down the Caribbean coast. I will miss El Retiro. I admit, it has been pretty challenging. Waking up, teaching yoga, eating a free breakfast, reading in a hammock, eating a free lunch, floating down the river in a tube, teaching again, eating a massive free dinner. If you can't tell, I am being sarcastic. It has been super relaxing. 
Today was a rude contrast, enduring the roughest van ride to date. Going up and down, winding/ around corners, being rattled all over the place. I take Dramamine, an anti-nauseant, but it makes me uncontrollably sleepy, which is usually a good thing because sleeping makes the ride pass by a bit quicker. But since the ride was so rough I obviously couldn't sleep so it was even more unbearable. And there was so much dust coming in the windows which were wide open because it was a really hot day so I ended up covered in a centimeter of grime. But I arrived in Rio Dulce at my hostel right on the river, quickly jumped in the water, and since then all has been well again.
Last night was a great night because my friend and classmate from the yoga teacher training course came to El Retiro! Ana has also been traveling, and she emailed me saying she was in Belize so I asked her if she could come and take over my job when I left! It worked out really perfectly, sadly we had just last night to hang out. It was really amazing and totally unexpected to see her in the middle of the jungle in Guatemala!
One of the unexpected benefits of teaching was that after people did my class they would sometimes approach me with questions about my experiences with yoga and with the philosophy and theory behind it. I really enjoyed these conversations. Even though I was a complete stranger, it was nice that they felt comfortable talking to me about these bigger questions, not that I had answers, but it was also nice to recall some of the lessons from the ashram and I cracked open my electronic copy of Swami Vishnu's Complete Illustrated Book of Yoga on a few occasions. I also occasionally had another yoga teacher take my class, and I always liked to ask for their feedback on my teaching afterwards. Now after this successful experience I have organized to teach for the month of may at a hostel on the Nicaraguan island of Ponoleyo, in the Pacific. Check it out: www.surfingturtlelodge.com

No comments:

Post a Comment