Sunday, March 16, 2014

Busy Weekend!

I have been seeing some of the sights around Antigua. Friday I went with Juan Carlos on a hike up an active volcano, called Pacaya. It just errupted 2 weeks ago, so we were able to hike over the field of volcanic ash that was still warm, and roast marshmallows on a particularly hot spot! We were there in the evening so we got to watch the sun set and the lights of Guatemala City come on. It is pretty much cloudy all of the time here, so the sunset wasn't much, but it was still nice. You can see my pictures in the link on the right sidebar. Then I bid farewell to Juan Carlos, who is headed home and then back to the ashram. It was amazing to travel with him through Mexico but now its time to do my own thing! I am in Antigua one more week, after which I will be completely fluent in Spanish (not) and ready to continue my journey!
Early Saturday morning I got up to get a tourist shuttle to Lago de Atitlan. Rodana, who is a student at my school staying in the same home, came with me. We had been talking about taking the public "chicken" bus to get there, but in the end decided on the more boring but also more comfortable and safe tourist shuttles. There are inexpensive tourist shuttle vans to pretty much anywhere you could possibly want to go. The van to the lake was $10. We arrived in the town of Panajachel, the biggest town on the lake, and wandered down the Main Street which is the usual assortment of restaurants and handicraft shops. I don't understand how all the vendors make money selling the exact same things, but I suppose they don't need much to survive here. At the bottom of the Main Street is the dock where you can take "lanchas", little speed boats, to the other towns around the lake. We made our way to San Marcos La Laguna, known for being full of hippies, yogis, and other alternative types. Its a small town, but the vibe is evident right away. Every other shop is offering a different sort of alternative therapy and at least 1/4 of the foreigners have dreadlocks.
This morning we woke up early again to get the boat back to Panajachel and on to another shuttle. This one took us to Chichicastenango, the famous handicrafts market. It was dfinitely an experience. Both Rodana and I had the idea of just to bring a minimal amount of cash for the weekend so we wouldnt be tempted to spend anything at the market, but I must admit there were a few things I wished I could have bought...
When we got back to town we remembered that there would be a parade happening. Every sunday in the month leading up to Easter and the Holy Week there is a procession to one of the many churches in the city. It wasn't much of a parade, but I hear the celebrations and parades during Holy Week itself are unreal. Thousands of people come to town for it. I am kind of happy I won't be here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment