Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Antigua, day 2 of spanish class

After an uneventful 12 hour bus ride, I am in Antigua, Guatemala! The spanish school arranged a homestay for me, and the family is quite lovely. I have a nice big room and there is another student from the school living there. She is American, from Oregon, but I agreed that we should speak Spanish with eachother because that is the reason that we are here! My only complaints about the house are that the shower water is heated with an electric heater so the tap shocks me if I touch it a certain way. Also the food is less than inspired, although i am paying $65 a week for the room and food so i cant complain too much. There are lots of restaurants and a big market where I can buy some other food if I need to.
I am taking private spanish lessons 5 hours a day with my teacher Cesar. He is an older man, and hes really funny. I have learned a lot about his life in the first 2 days. He was happy to find out that I understand Spanish really well, so we have been talking about different topics. Also working on grammar of course, I completely forget a few verb tenses. But I think I am already getting better. Or at least I am more comfortable speaking and my sentences flow out of me much better. The school has a lovely garden where classes take place. I would guess there are 30 or 40 students, each with their own personal teacher. I have met only a few people so far. This afternoon I am going to a macadamia farm with other students from the school.

No comments:

Post a Comment