Sunday, May 25, 2014

On the move again

With a heavy heart (or, rather, a heavy gut) i decided to leave Surfing Turtle Lodge. After over a week of feeling shitty I decided I needed to take some action. Something about that place (or some combination of things) was making me ill. I took a night off a couple of days ago and came to Leon to sleep in an air-conditioned room. Wow. I was overwhelmed by the luxury of it. A double bed, a room and bathroom to myself, and AC!!! Wow!!! I arrived around 4 and fell asleep almost immediately. I woke up hungry around 730 and wandered down the street for a light dinner of yogurt and fruit. I forgot how much I love dairy. The next day I felt so much better that I decided not to go to the doctor after all. I went back to the lodge in the afternoon, prepared to leave for good. I talked to the manager and he was disappointed of course, but I told hi about how I had been sick for so long and I just needed to get away to get better. And since I only had another week left I was just going to leave for good. He understood. I worked my last shift, once again in pain, and it felt like an eternity. I was so ready to get out of there. The next day I woke up normally and started packing. Then as I prepared to leave I noticed the manager and a few other people were not around. Apparently they had gone fishing. So i sat around the whole day doing waiting for them to come back so I could say goodbye. Finally they came back and we had a tearful parting (not) and i got in my charriot and disappeared into the jungle. Hasta la vista baby!! If you can't tell, I am quite happy to be out of there. Don't get me wrong, it was a nice place, and the people were great, but something was off. I would have liked it as a visitor for a few days, but working there wasn't great for me. The nothingness, the food, the drinking... well at least it has shown me that I can't live that kind of life, as appealing as it is from the outside. Cheers to the people who thrive like that. They have had some long-term voluteers. I don't know how they do it.
Tomorrow I continue my journey! Onward to Granada! 

No comments:

Post a Comment