Monday, January 20, 2014

Reflections on the headstand

One of the more challenging asanas I have been working on is the headstand or sirsasana. This practice has taught me a couple of important life lessons that I wanted to share. 

1. You have to do all the steps, no skipping.
In Sivananda yoga there is a distinct 8-step process to getting into the headstand. 
First you measure your elbows with your hands, then put them down on the ground in front of you. Extend your hands, clasping your fingers in front forming a tripod. Place the back of your head in your hands, cupping it loosely. Make sure the very top of your head is on the floor. Extend your feet behind you, forming a sort of downward dog angle with your hips in the air. Walk the toes towards your face until your hips are directly over your shoulders. Lift one foot, then the other, bringing your knees to your chest. Extend your knees straight up towards the sky, your feet falling back toward your bum. Extend your feet up into the full position.
The second last step, with knees pointing straight up, is the hardest. If I move through it quickly or try to bypass it, I manage to get my feet up for a few seconds but I am in what my teacher calls a 'jackknife' headstand, and not perfectly straight. And then I can't hold on to it for long. My teacher has challenged me to stay up in the 3/4 headstand (with knees up) for at least 30 seconds before go to the full posture. I will get some pictures posted soon so you get the idea. This is really hard for my ego, because I want to do it so badly, and if I have to hold that position, I will never make it all the way. But it is a good reminder that sometimes even though it's tempting to take shortcuts, it is best to take it one step at a time, building from the ground up. 

2. Work to your edge, but don't go over it
This is a principle of yoga that I have learned from different teachers. In the headstand, you have to get your balance exactly right, using the hips and legs as counter weights. If you don't do this properly, you will fall over. Usually backwards. Which could hurt, but luckily for me I am really good at somersaults. I tend to do this more when I am more tired, so clearly it is not such a good idea to practice headstand tired. In the standard class, headstand is the first asana after the sun salutation series. I guess the originators realized you need all your strength and energy to hold a good headstand.
The life lesson here is to challenge myself, but to know when I am at the edge. Edges are great places to be, they have the most potential for growth. But they cal also be dangerous. So I have been working on getting my self awareness to the point where I can be ok with not pushing myself to far, but pushing just enough. It's that sweet spot that I want to stay in.

3. Be comfortable and sure of yourself, even as your world gets flipped upside down
My teacher pointed something out to me today as I was practicing. In headstand, your actually have more surface area contact with the floor than you do when you are standing on your feet. Also you are not in any crazy positions that require extreme flexibility or strength, you are just standing straight up. The fear factor is a huge barrier in accomplishing the headstand.  That last 3/4 stage is quite a frightening and bizarre sensation. But I held it for a little while, and gradually I adjusted to my new orientation. I also remembered to breathe and try to relax. Then it got easier. I felt lighter, like I was just floating there. 
In life there are sure to be disorienting situations, and the world as I know it may appear to be upside down. I will have to apply what I learned in headstand, to relax and persevere. 

Asanas are so amazing in that they have the ability to train your body, your mind, and your spirit. Swami Sivananda referred to headstand as the king of asanas and said if we are only going to do one posture a day this should be it. The physical and mental benefits are numerous, from increasing the flow of blood to the brain to reducing varicose veins. Apparently the most benefits come from staying in it for 10 to 15 minutes. I cannot imagine that. Maybe one day. I will just have to go one step at a time. 

2 comments:

  1. Love these life lessons, especially the third one. Keep writing Kelly, it is beautiful! Love the pictures too,
    Camelia

    ReplyDelete
  2. another way the headstand appears to me as a good metaphor is keep;ing my balance in the winds of change, esp climate change.
    L,
    D

    ReplyDelete